In this brief blog, we will be discussing zopiclone, the side effects of zopiclone, the uses of zopiclone, zopiclone for anxiety, and more information about zopiclone.
What is the description of zopiclone?
Zopiclone is a type of sleeping psychotropic medication used to treat chronic episodes of insomnia. This kind of medication has helped affected people to get enough sleep late in the night and avoid getting up at any time of the night.
Zopiclone is only available as tablet forms of this medication. Although there are liquid forms of this medication and you will have to request that from your doctor if you have a difficult time swallowing this kind of medication
Zopiclone is only attained through a doctor’s prescription. Having this kind of medication as over-the-counter medication is considered illegal in the UK.
Zopiclone takes 1 hour before the patient feels its effects. This kind of medication is usually prescribed in 2 to 4 weeks for the affected patient.
How does zopiclone function?
Zopiclone functions by activating the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) which can help calm an affected person down. This is because this kind of neurotransmitter can block all the other neurotransmitters in the brain which induces the calming effect.
By enhancing the effectiveness of GABA, zopiclone creates the effect of sleepiness. You can learn more about the workings of this kind of neurotransmitter by buying this book on this website.
Medical uses of zopiclone
Zopiclone is used for the short-term treatment of people with chronic sleeping problems such as having trouble in relieving themselves through sleep or staying asleep in the middle of the night. The long-term use of this kind of medication is not recommended since this can create an addiction to this medication.
Studies have found that the expected effects of zopiclone in shift workers are not apparent and further research is needed to verify this confusion.
Which patients are prescribed or not prescribed with zopiclone?
People who are prescribed with zopiclone are those adults who are at the ages of 18 and above. This kind of medication is not prescribed for some people who may not tolerate the effects of this medication.
To make sure that zopiclone is appropriate for you, you need to tell your doctor the following information:
- have had an allergic response to zopiclone or any other medications in the past
- have liver or kidney difficulties
- have myasthenia gravis which is a condition that causes muscle weakness
- have breathing difficulties or sleep apnoea in which where you stop breathing for short snippets while sleeping
- have had mental health issues
- have had difficulties with alcoholism or substance abuse
- are attempting to get pregnant, already pregnant or breastfeeding a child
You can learn more about zopiclone by buying this book on this website.
How and when to take zopiclone in prescribed patients?
You can take zopiclone in the 7.5 mg measure of dosage and you should be taking this kind of medication before going to bed. As mentioned before, this kind of medication takes an hour to work its effects.
Older adults are prescribed with the 3.75 mg measure of dosage to minimize adverse side effects and to accommodate those adults who are currently having liver or kidney complications. By taking a lower dose of this zopiclone, they will decrease the effects of sleepiness from this kind of medication.
You need to swallow the whole zopiclone pill. You shouldn’t chew or bite in this kind of medication which might affect its strength.
You can take zopiclone together with food or not in combination with food. You should always take the prescribed dosage and the time of day of this kind of medication as your doctor has explained it to you.
You will be recommended to take zopiclone 2 or 3 nights in a week rather than each day since this may increase your risk of getting side effects which will be discussed next.
What are the adverse and known side effects of zopiclone?
The adverse side effects of zopiclone will be described next but you should be reminded that not all people who are prescribed with this kind of medication will have these side effects. Statistics show that only a few people estimating 1 in 100 people will get these side effects from this medication.
You need to speak with your doctor immediately if the following side effects are distressing you:
- a bitter or bloodlike taste in your mouth or a dry mouth
- feeling sleepy
You could always try to find other ways of curing your sleeping problems which you can find some tips in this book which can be bought on this website.
Severe side effects
Severe side effects that are caused by zopiclone are rare but you should immediately address your doctor when you have the following side effects:
- lose your memory
- see or hear things that aren’t real or hallucinations
- fall over, especially if you’re at your elder years
- think things that aren’t accurate or delusions
- feel low which is a sign of depression
Serious allergic response
In very unusual cases, people who take zopiclone may have an allergic reaction. This is true to other psychotropic drugs such as some antidepressant medications
How to deal with the side effects of zopiclone?
You can deal with the following side effects of zopiclone by using these pieces of advice from a general practitioner who specializes in this kind of medication:
- a bitter or bloodlike taste in the patient’s mouth or a dry mouth – if this side effect distresses the patient, he or she needs to attempt taking sips of water and keep some water by his or her bed at night. Using a mouthwash before bedtime may also help to minimize this kind of side effect. You need to choose one of these options so that you can reduce the effect of choosing the wrong option and still have this side effect.
- feeling drowsy – the patient should not drive or use materials or machinery if he or she feeling this side effect. The patient must also not drink any alcohol as this will make him or her feel more sleepy. If these behaviours don’t help, you need to speak to your doctor.
You can learn more about other pieces of advice from general practitioners about your medical and mental health by buying this book on this website.
Interactions of other psychological medications with zopiclone
Some medications have been used to combine with zopiclone to increase the effects of reducing the patient’s sleeping problems. However, these kinds of combinations may not be accommodating to some patients and may cause further side effects
You need to tell your doctor about you taking one or two of these following medications before taking zopiclone:
- medications to cure schizophrenia and bipolar disorder
- medications to cure depression
- medications for epilepsy
- medications to calm or minimize anxiety or for sleep difficulties
- medications for rashes, hay fever or other allergies that can make you drowsy like sedative antihistamines such as chlorphenamine or promethazine
- strong painkiller medications such as codeine, morphine, methadone, oxycodone, pethidine or tramadol
- erythromycin or clarithromycin which are antibiotic medications used to cure infections
- medications used to cure fungal infections such as ketoconazole and itraconazole
- ritonavir which is a medication used to cure HIV infections
Combining zopiclone with herbal remedies and supplements
You must not take zopiclone with herbal remedies that can also make you drowsy. Also, it has been found that this combination can lead to increased drowsiness which may affect the patient’s life.
Contraindications of the usage of zopiclone
The usage of zopiclone is contraindicated in patients with the following medical conditions:
- background of hypersensitivity to zopiclone or to any of the related medications
- myasthenia gravis
- chronic hepatic dysfunction
- sleep apnoea syndrome
- respiratory failure
Zopiclone should not be taken by children under the ages of 18 years old due to side effects.
You can minimize your sleep apnea symptoms by buying this book here.
How do I stop taking zopiclone even in the course of a prescription?
You should stop taking zopiclone when your doctor permits you to do so. If you immediately stop this kind of medication without further advice from the doctor, you may be suffering from the withdrawal effects of this medication.
This withdrawal from zopiclone may make the patient feel anxious, have mood alterations, sleepless and become very vulnerable to light, being touched, and noise. In speaking with your doctor about stopping this kind of medication, you will be guided to reduce your dosage gradually to minimize the withdrawal effects.
If you have been taking zopiclone for half or less than a month, you are less likely to have these withdrawal effects of this kind of medication.
How to get the most out of the medical advantages of zopiclone?
- The patient must not take zopiclone for longer than your doctor has prescribed. This kind of medication is only recommended for a maximum duration of four weeks. This is because your body gets used to this kind of medication immediately and after this time, this medication is unlikely to have the same effect. The patient’s body can also become tolerant of this kind of medication when it is taken for longer than the prescribed period.
- The zopiclone tablets will make a patient drowsy and he or she could still feel tired the next day. The patient should not drive and also not use materials or machines on the next day unless his or her responses have returned to normal.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are on the prescription of zopiclone. This kind of situation will only enhance the risk of side effects such as sleepwalking and doing other things which you are unable to recall when you wake up.
- When the patient stops taking zopiclone, his or her doctor may advise him or her to minimize the dose gradually to help stop his or her sleep difficulties from returning. The patient needs to follow any instructions that are given and clarified by the doctor.
- If the patient is aiming for a trip abroad, he or she suggested bringing a prescription letter with them from their doctor to explain that they have been prescribed zopiclone. This is because this kind of medication is classified as a controlled medication and is subject to certain restrictions and limitations.
In this brief blog, we have discussed zopiclone, the side effects of zopiclone, the uses of zopiclone, zopiclone for anxiety, and more information about zopiclone.
If you have any questions about zopiclone, please let us know and the team will be willing to answer your queries.
How addictive is zopiclone?
Zopiclone is very addictive as evidenced by people who take this kind of medication will get dependent on this medication after using it for a few weeks. This kind of medication is mostly used for people who are suffering from insomnia.
Does zopiclone help anxiety?
Yes, zopiclone helps anxiety. This kind of medication was shown to act like benzodiazepines where the person with anxiety problems will be able to sedate these problems with these sleeping pills.
Is zopiclone a muscle relaxant?
Zopiclone is a muscle relaxant. This can help in minimizing the muscle tension symptom in people with severe anxiety. In this case, people who are treated using this kind of medication will feel relaxed starting from their bodies
What drugs interact with zopiclone?
The drugs that interact with zopiclone are antipsychotic medications, alcohol, and anti-anxiety medications. This kind of medication tends to be used with antipsychotic medications since some people with psychotic symptoms also have anxiety which needs to be reduced.
Does zopiclone cause hallucinations?
Zopiclone may cause hallucinations. This can happen when this kind of medication can put you to sleep. This situation can also happen if you take this kind of medication with antipsychotic medications.
Emc. Zopiclone 7.5 mg Film-coated Tablets.
Patient. Zopiclone tablets.