In this article, we talk about self-awareness, what it means and why it is important. We also collected some of the most inspirational self-awareness quotes.
What is Self-awareness?
Consciousness, of oneself and of others, remains an enigma, both for scientific laboratories and for mystics. Religion, the microscope, common sense, even Google, stop in front of the ultimate threshold of what the self is and how it works. Nor is it a question we can ignore so easily. Especially since big companies are competing in an attempt to “give birth” to artificial intelligence that can “compete” with humans.
Usually there is an intellectual elite who take their job seriously to doubt their own existence and make this a corollary. But there is nothing exceptional with the feeling “It’s me, do I really exist when I think? And if so, what are they? ”
According to Wikipedia, self-awareness is “an awareness of one’s own personality or individuality”. While consciousness is being aware of one’s environment and body and lifestyle, self-awareness is the recognition of that awareness. Self-awareness is how an individual consciously knows and understands their own character, feelings, motives, and desires.
Below I have prepared some self awareness quotes, which I hope will help you understand this concept better.
15 Self-awareness Quotes
- “I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” ― Charlotte Brontë
- “I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself.” ― Charlotte Brontë
- “When I discover who I am, I’ll be free.” ― Ralph Ellison
- “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Gustav Jung
- “Your visions will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.” ― C.G. Jung
- “I am not an angel,’ I asserted; ‘and I will not be one till I die: I will be myself. Mr. Rochester, you must neither expect nor exact anything celestial of me – for you will not get it, any more than I shall get it of you: which I do not at all anticipate.” ― Charlotte Brontë
- “But you can’t get away from yourself. You can’t decide not to see yourself anymore. You can’t decide to turn off the noise in your head.” ― Jay Asher
- “When you’re different, sometimes you don’t see the millions of people who accept you for what you are. All you notice is the person who doesn’t.” ― Jodi Picoult
- “To say “I love you” one must know first how to say the “I”.” ― Ayn Rand
- “Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.” ― C.G. Jung
- “Part of the problem with the word ‘disabilities’ is that it immediately suggests an inability to see or hear or walk or do other things that many of us take for granted. But what of people who can’t feel? Or talk about their feelings? Or manage their feelings in constructive ways? What of people who aren’t able to form close and strong relationships? And people who cannot find fulfillment in their lives, or those who have lost hope, who live in disappointment and bitterness and find in life no joy, no love? These, it seems to me, are the real disabilities.” ― Fred Rogers
- “There comes a time when you look into the mirror and you realize that what you see is all that you will ever be. And then you accept it. Or you kill yourself. Or you stop looking in mirrors.” ― Tennessee Williams
- “The only person who can pull me down is myself, and I’m not going to let myself pull me down anymore.” ― C. JoyBell C.
- “I have been and still am a seeker, but I have ceased to question stars and books; I have begun to listen to the teaching my blood whispers to me.” ― Hermann Hesse
- “I think….you still have no idea. The effect you can have.” ― Suzanne Collins
20 Self-awareness Quotes
- “I think that we are like stars. Something happens to burst us open; but when we burst open and think we are dying; we’re actually turning into a supernova. And then when we look at ourselves again, we see that we’re suddenly more beautiful than we ever were before!” ― C. JoyBell C.
- “you can’t get away from yourself by moving from one place to another.” ― Ernest Hemingway
- “Strong people have a strong sense of self-worth and self-awareness; they don’t need the approval of others.” ― Roy T. Bennett
- “The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.” ― Michel de Montaigne
- “The difference between my darkness and your darkness is that I can look at my own badness in the face and accept its existence while you are busy covering your mirror with a white linen sheet. The difference between my sins and your sins is that when I sin I know I’m sinning while you have actually fallen prey to your own fabricated illusions. I am a siren, a mermaid; I know that I am beautiful while basking on the ocean’s waves and I know that I can eat flesh and bones at the bottom of the sea. You are a white witch, a wizard; your spells are manipulations and your cauldron from hell yet you wrap yourself in white and wear a silver wig.” ― C. JoyBell C.
“At the center of your being
you have the answer;
you know who you are
and you know what you want.”
― Lao Tzu
- “Man is not what he thinks he is, he is what he hides.” ― André Malraux
- “The person in life that you will always be with the most, is yourself. Because even when you are with others, you are still with yourself, too! When you wake up in the morning, you are with yourself, laying in bed at night you are with yourself, walking down the street in the sunlight you are with yourself.What kind of person do you want to walk down the street with? What kind of person do you want to wake up in the morning with? What kind of person do you want to see at the end of the day before you fall asleep? Because that person is yourself, and it’s your responsibility to be that person you want to be with. I know I want to spend my life with a person who knows how to let things go, who’s not full of hate, who’s able to smile and be carefree. So that’s who I have to be.” ― C. JoyBell C.
- “We search for happiness everywhere, but we are like Tolstoy’s fabled beggar who spent his life sitting on a pot of gold, under him the whole time. Your treasure–your perfection–is within you already. But to claim it, you must leave the busy commotion of the mind and abandon the desires of the ego and enter into the silence of the heart.” ― Elizabeth Gilbert
- “It does not matter how long you are spending on the earth, how much money you have gathered or how much attention you have received. It is the amount of positive vibration you have radiated in life that matters,” ― Amit Ray
- “It takes courage…to endure the sharp pains of self discovery rather than choose to take the dull pain of unconsciousness that would last the rest of our lives.” ― Marianne Williamson
- “Whenever you are about to find fault with someone, ask yourself the following question: What fault of mine most nearly resembles the one I am about to criticize?” ― Marcus Aurelius
- “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” ― Amit Ra
- “The most fundamental aggression to ourselves, the most fundamental harm we can do to ourselves, is to remain ignorant by not having the courage and the respect to look at ourselves honestly and gently.” ― Pema Chödrön
- “I do not believe in taking the right decision, I take a decision and make it right.” ― Muhammad Ali Jinnah
- “You’ve always been what you are. That’s not new. What you’ll get used to is knowing it.” ― Cassandra Clare
- “The most loving parents and relatives commit murder with smiles on their faces. They force us to destroy the person we really are: a subtle kind of murder.” ― Jim Morrison
- “The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change.” ― Carl R. Rogers
- “Find out who you are and do it on purpose.” ― Dolly Parton
- “I am not an angel,” I asserted; “and I will not be one till I die: I will be myself.” ― Charlotte Brontë
30 Self-awareness Quotes
- “Don’t compromise yourself. You’re all you’ve got.” ― Janis Joplin
- “I don’t fit into any stereotypes. And I like myself that way.” ― C. JoyBell C.
- “I am who I am; no more, no less.” ― Terry Goodkind
- “You don’t need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!” ― John Lennon
- “She hoped to be wise and reasonable in time; but alas! Alas! She must confess to herself that she was not wise yet.” ― Jane Austen
- “We judge others instantly by their clothes, their cars, their appearance, their race, their education, their social status. The list is endless. What gets me is that most people decide who another person is before they have even spoken to them. What’s even worse is that these same people decide who someone else is, and don’t even know who they are themselves.” ― Ashly Lorenzana
- “Anyone who knows me, should learn to know me again;
For I am like the Moon,
you will see me with a new face everyday.” ― Rumi
- “We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. We travel to open our hearts and eyes and learn more about the world than our newspapers will accommodate. We travel to bring what little we can, in our ignorance and knowledge, to those parts of the globe whose riches are differently dispersed. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more.” ― Pico Iyer
- “Through others we become ourselves.” ― Lev S. Vygotsky
- “The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize.” ― Robert Hughes
- “We do not get to choose how we start out in life. We do not get to choose the day we are born or the family we are born into, what we are named at birth, what country we are born in, and we do not get to choose our ancestry. All these things are predetermined by a higher power. By the time you are old enough to start making decisions for yourself, a lot of things in your life are already in place. It’s important, therefore, that you focus on the future, the only thing that you can change.” ― Idowu Koyenikan
- “Never try to do anything that is outside of who you are. A forced smile is a sign of what feels wrong in your heart, so recognize it when it happens. Living a lie will reduce you to one.” ― Ashly Lorenzana
- “You are one thing only. You are a Divine Being. An all-powerful Creator. You are a Deity in jeans and a t-shirt, and within you dwells the infinite wisdom of the ages and the sacred creative force of All that is, will be and ever was.” ― Anthon St. Maarten
- “A good [short story] would take me out of myself and then stuff me back in, outsized, now, and uneasy with the fit.” ― David Sedaris
- “Whenever I am in a difficult situation where there seems to be no way out, I think about all the times I have been in such situations and say to myself, “I did it before, so I can do it again.” ― Idowu Koyenikan
- “It is a slightly arresting notion that if you were to pick yourself apart with tweezers, one atom at a time, you would produce a mound of fine atomic dust, none of which had ever been alive but all of which had once been you.” ― Bill Bryson
- “A strong man cannot help a weaker unless the weaker is willing to be helped, and even then the weak man must become strong of himself; he must, by his own efforts, develop the strength which he admires in another. None but himself can alter his condition.” ― James Allen
- “Success comes from the inside out. In order to change what is on the outside, you must first change what is on the inside.” ― Idowu Koyenikan
- “Each man had only one genuine vocation – to find the way to himself….His task was to discover his own destiny – not an arbitrary one – and to live it out wholly and resolutely within himself. Everything else was only a would-be existence, an attempt at evasion, a flight back to the ideals of the masses, conformity and fear of one’s own inwardness.” ― Herman Hesse
- “Yes! I’m me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don’t understand! When I hear people use the wrong words, I get edgy! I am good with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of string! That’s the kind of person I am!” ― Terry Pratchett
- “It isn’t normal to know what we want. It is a rare and difficult psychological achievement.” ― Abraham Harold Maslow
- “But if you forgive someone for something they did to you, it doesn’t mean you agree with what they did or believe it was right. Forgiving that person means you have chosen not to dwell on the matter anymore; you have moved on with your life.” ― Idowu Koyenikan
- “To know a species, look at its fears. To know yourself, look at your fears. Fear in itself is not important, but fear stands there and points you in the direction of things that are important. Don’t be afraid of your fears, they’re not there to scare you; they’re there to let you know that something is worth it.” ― C. JoyBell C.
- “Maybe your country is only a place you make up in your own mind. Something you dream about and sing about. Maybe it’s not a place on the map at all, but just a story full of people you meet and places you visit, full of books and films you’ve been to. I’m not afraid of being homesick and having no language to live in. I don’t have to be like anyone else. I’m walking on the wall and nobody can stop me.” ― Hugo Hamilton
- “I like to have powerful enemies. Makes me feel important.” ― Leigh Bardugo
- “When you work on something that only has the capacity to make you 5 dollars, it does not matter how much harder you work – the most you will make is 5 dollars.” ― idowu koyenikan
- “I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.” ― Socrates
- “The older you get, the more you understand how your conscience works. The biggest and only critic lives in your perception of people’s perception of you rather than people’s perception of you.” ― Criss Jami
- “Without self knowledge, without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave.” ― G.I. Gurdjieff
- “The true definition of mental illness is when the majority of your time is spent in the past or future, but rarely living in the realism of NOW.” ― Shannon L. Alder
40 Self-awareness Quotes
- “A lot of things are inherent in life -change, birth, death, aging, illness, accidents, calamities, and losses of all kinds- but these events don’t have to be the cause of ongoing suffering. Yes, these events cause grief and sadness, but grief and sadness pass, like everything else, and are replaced with other experiences. The ego, however, clings to negative thoughts and feelings and, as a result, magnifies, intensifies, and sustains those emotions while the ego overlooks the subtle feelings of joy, gratitude, excitement, adventure, love, and peace that come from Essence. If we dwelt on these positive states as much as we generally dwell on our negative thoughts and painful emotions, our lives would be transformed.” ― Gina Lake
- “As you become more clear about who you really are, you’ll be better able to decide what is best for you – the first time around.” ― Oprah Winfrey
- “Only you can take inner freedom away from yourself, or give it to yourself. Nobody else can.” ― Michael A. Singer
- “The most common ego identifications have to do with possessions, the work you do, social status and recognition, knowledge and education, physical appearance, special abilities, relationships, person and family history, belief systems, and often nationalistic, racial, religious, and other collective identifications. None of these is you.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “If you swim effortlessly in the deep oceans, ride the waves to and from the shore, if you can breathe underwater and dine on the deep treasures of the seas; mark my words, those who dwell on the rocks carrying nets will try to reel you into their catch. The last thing they want is for you to thrive in your habitat because they stand in their atmosphere where they beg and gasp for some air.” ― C. JoyBell C.
- “I love, because my love is not dependent on the object of love. My love is dependent on my state of being. So whether the other person changes, becomes different, friend turns into a foe, does not matter, because my love was never dependent on the other person. My love is my state of being. I simply love it.” ― Osho
- “My friend…care for your psyche…know thyself, for once we know ourselves, we may learn how to care for ourselves” – Socrates
- “If you walk on sunlight, bathe in moonlight, breathe in a golden air and exhale a Midas’ touch; mark my words, those who exist in the shadows will try to pull you into the darkness with them. The last thing that they want is for you to see the wonder of your life because they can’t see theirs.” ― C. JoyBell C.
- “We are at our most powerful the moment we no longer need to be powerful.” ― Eric Micha’el Leventhal
- “I think that’s the real loss of innocence: the first time you glimpse the boundaries that will limit your potential.” ― Steve Toltz
- “Did your mom ever tell you, ‘If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything’? She was right–and talking nicely also applies when you’re talking to yourself, even inside your head.” ― Victoria Moran
- “You are your master. Only you have the master keys to open the inner locks.” ― Amit Ray
- “Have love for your inner Self and everything else is done for you.” ― Amit Ray
- “I didn’t think it was my job to accept what everyone said I was and who I should be.” ― Benjamin Alire Sáenz
- “There is a God part in you. The consciousness. The pure Self. Learn to listen to the voice of that Power.” ― Amit Ray
- “The splinter in your eye is the best magnifying-glass available.” ― Theodor W. Adorno
- “I am sure it is everyone’s experience, as it has been mine, that any discovery we make about ourselves or the meaning of life is never, like a scientific discovery, a coming upon something entirely new and unsuspected; it is rather, the coming to conscious recognition of something, which we really knew all the time but, because we were unwilling to formulate it correctly, we did not hitherto know we knew.” ― W.H. Auden
- “Each person you meet
is an aspect of yourself,
clamoring for love.” ― Eric Micha’el Leventhal
- “At the core of your heart, you are perfect and pure. No one and nothing can alter that.” ― Amit Ray
- “The Way to do it is to be.” ― Lao Tzu
- “It is when you lose sight of yourself, that you lose your way. To keep your truth in sight you must keep yourself in sight and the world to you should be a mirror to reflect to you your image; the world should be a mirror that you reflect upon.” ― C. JoyBell C.
- “At 30 a man should know himself like the palm of his hand, know the exact number of his defects and qualities, know how far he can go, foretell his failures – be what he is. And, above all, accept these things.” ― Albert Camus
- “She might be without country, without nation, but inside her there was still a being that could exist and be free, that could simply say I am without adding a this, or a that, without saying I am Indian, Guyanese, English, or anything else in the world.” ― Sharon Maas
- “Therefore do not deceive yourself! Of all deceivers fear most yourself!” ― Søren Kierkegaard
- “She was a wicked thing sometimes. All full of want. As if the shape of the world depended on her mood. As if she were important.” ― Patrick Rothfuss
- “It is not the bruises on the body that hurt. It is the wounds of the heart and the scars on the mind.” ― Aisha Mirza
- “Write it in your heart you are the most beautiful soul of the Universe. Realize it, honor it and celebrate life.” ― Amit Ray
- “Our parents can show us a lot of things: they can show us how we are to be and what things we ought to strive for, or they can show us how not to be and what things we ought to stray from, then you may have the kind of parents that show you all the things about you that you want to get rid of and you realize those traits aren’t yours at all but are merely your parents’ marks that have rubbed off onto you.” ― C. JoyBell C.
- “Depression weighs you down like a rock in a river. You don’t stand a chance. You can fight and pray and hope you have the strength to swim, but sometimes, you have to let yourself sink. Because you’ll never know true happiness until someone or something pulls you back out of that river–and you’ll never believe it until you realize it was you, yourself who saved you.” ― Alysha Speer
- “Indecision may or may not be my problem.” ― Jimmy Buffett
- “By now he had learned enough to know that when he was getting annoyed at somebody else, it was usually because there was something that he himself should be doing, and he wasn’t doing it.” ― Lev Grossman
- “Try giving up all the thoughts that make you feel bad, or even just some of them, and see how doing that changes your life. You don’t need negative thoughts. All they have ever given you was a false self that suffers. They are all lies.” ― Gina Lake
- “Be patient. Your skin took a while to deteriorate. Give it some time to reflect a calmer inner state. As one of my friends states on his Facebook profile: “The true Losers in Life, are not those who Try and Fail, but those who Fail to Try.” ― Jess C. Scott
- “We always find something, eh Didi, to let us think we exist?” ― Samuel Beckett
- “There are things you don’t want to know you can do” ― Robin McKinley
- “I only know as much about myself as my mind can work out under its current conditions. And its current conditions are not good.” ― Douglas Adams
- “Hypocrisy is wretched because the hypocrite says with his tongue what is not in his heart. He wrongs his tongue and oppresses his heart. But if the heart is sound, the condition of the tongue follows suit. We are commanded to be upright in speech, which is a gauge of the heart’s state.” ― Hamza Yusuf
- “We are like water, aren’t we? We can be fluid, flexible when we have to be. But strong and destructive, too.” And something else, I think to myself. Like water, we mostly follow the path of least resistance.” ― Wally Lamb
- “A healer’s power stems not from any special ability, but from maintaining the courage and awareness to embody and express the universal healing power that every human being naturally possesses.” ― Eric Micha’el Leventhal
- “A man who denies his past is a man who truly denies himself a future, for he refuses to know himself, and to deny knowledge of oneself is to stumble through life as handicapped as the blind mute.” ― Tobsha Learner
50 Self-awareness Quotes
- “I will no longer wound myself with the thoughts and questions that have surrounded me like thorns: that is a penance You do not ask of me.” ― Thomas Merton
- “There’s a mess inside you:
You clean the outside.” ― Anonymous
- “A kind of joy came upon him, as if borne in on a summer breeze. He dimly recalled that he had been thinking of failure–as if it mattered. It seemed to him now that such thoughts were mean, unworthy of what his life had been. Dim presences gathered at the edge of his consciousness; he could not see them, but he knew that they were there, gathering their forces toward a kind of palpability he could not see or hear. He was approaching them, he knew; but there was no need to hurry. He could ignore them if he wished; he had all the time there was.
There was a softness around him, and a languor crept upon his limbs. A sense of his own identity came upon him with a sudden force, and he felt the power of it. He was himself, and he knew what he had been.” ― John Williams
- “Just take this as a warning. Know that there’s always a price for not being yourself.” ― Benilde Little
- “How shall I ever learn who I am when there is so much of me that belongs to someone else?” ― Madeline Claire Franklin
- “When you know the knower within, you don’t need to know further. When you know the meditator within, you don’t need to meditate further. When you truly know the worshiper in you, you are to be worshiped.” ― Amit Ray
- “There’s just something unsettling about studying your reflection. It’s not a matter of being dissatisfied with your face or of being embarrassed by your vanity. Maybe it’s that when you gaze into your own eyes, you don’t see what you wish to see—or glimpse something that you wish weren’t there.” – Dean Koontz
- “I suffer because my interactions with others do not meet the expectations I did not know I had.” ― Jim McDonald
- “[I]t doesn’t matter whom you love or where you move from or to, you always take yourself with you. If you don’t know who you are, or if you’ve forgotten or misplaced her, then you’ll always feel as if you don’t belong. Anywhere. (xiii)” ― Sarah Ban Breathnach
- “You need to remember that. If you’re to have decent lives, you have to know who you are and what lies ahead of you, every one of you.” ― Kazuo Ishiguro
- “He who does not reflect his life back to God in gratitude does not know himself.” ― Albert Schweitzer
- “If theater is ritual, then dance is too… It’s as if the threads connecting us to the rest of the world were washed clean of preconceptions and fears. When you dance, you can enjoy the luxury of being you.” ― Paulo Coelho
- “You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should’ve behaved better.” ― Anne Lamott
- “Compassion is all inclusive. Compassion knows no boundaries. Compassion comes with awareness, and awareness breaks all narrow territories.” ― Amit Ray
- “Every reader finds himself. The writer’s work is merely a kind of optical instrument that makes it possible for the reader to discern what, without this book, he would perhaps never have seen in himself.” ― Marcel Proust
- “Nothing will shake a man-or at any rate a man like me-out of his merely verbal thinking and his merely notional beliefs. He has to be knocked silly before he comes to his senses. Only torture will bring out the truth. Only under torture does he discover it himself.” ― C.S. Lewis
- “Now look at me! Take a good look! I was born and I knew I was alive and I knew what I wanted. What do you think is alive in me? Why do you think I’m alive? Because I have a stomach and eat and digest the food? Because I breathe and work and produce more food to digest? Or because I know what I want, and that something which knows how to want—isn’t that life itself? And who—in this damned universe—who can tell me why I should live for anything but for that which I want?” ― Ayn Rand
- “A human being has so many skins inside, covering the depths of the heart. We know so many things, but we don’t know ourselves! Why, thirty or forty skins or hides, as thick and hard as an ox’s or bear’s, cover the soul. Go into your own ground and learn to know yourself there.” ― Meister Eckhart
- “Stand up for who you are. Respect your Self and ignite the divine sparks in you. Access your powers. Choose your rights and work together with others to bring blessings into their lives.” ― Amit Ray
- “I’ve never had inner turmoil about all this. You find a lot of people these days who cannot stand to be alone. You could lock me up in solitary for weeks on end, and I’d keep myself amused.” ― Keith Richards
- “It is not until you change your identity to match your life blueprint that you will understand why everything in the past never worked.” ― Shannon L. Alder
- “I like that: a little pressure on the understood boundaries of yourself. Sounded like something out of a self-awareness class, probably with yoga. See what kind of a pretzel you can tie yourself into and press on the understood… I was raving, if only to myself.” ― Robin McKinley
- “If it is bread that you seek, you will have bread.
If it is the soul you seek, you will find the soul.
If you understand this secret, you know you are that which you seek.” ― Rumi
- “Life is a valuable and unique opportunity
to discover who you are.
But it seems as soon as you near
answering that age-old question,
something unexpected always happens
to alter your course.
And who it is you thought you were
Then comes the frustrating realization
that no matter how long life endures,
no matter how many experiences
are muddled through in this existence,
you may never really be able
to answer the question….
Who am I?
Because the answer, like the seasons,
constantly, subtly, inevitably changes.
And who it is you are today,
is not the same person you will be tomorrow.” ― Richelle Goodrich
- “My desire for knowledge is intermittent; but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant.” ― Henry David Thoreau
- “Being spontaneous is being able to respond with confidence; calmly trusting that, whatever the outcome, you will have a positive if challenging experience that will lead to greater self-awareness and success.” ― Sylvia Clare
- “To experience what isn’t, love what is.” ― Eric Micha’el Leventhal
- “Self-awareness paradoxically requires an awareness of the other.” ― Charlie Jane Anders
- “She wasn’t tracking down her father to learn more about him. She was tracking him down to learn more about herself.” ― Brad Meltzer
- “Self-awareness of one’s faults, far from being the first step to growth, is very often the second foot in the mud.” ― Bauvard
- “It is not depression or anxiety that truly hurts us. It is our active resistance against these states of mind and body. If you wake up with low energy, hopeless thoughts, and a lack of motivation – that is a signal from you to you. That is a sure sign that something in your mind or in your life is making you sick, and you must attend to that signal. But what do most people do? They hate their depressed feelings. They think “Why me?” They push them down. They take a pill. And so, the feelings return again and again, knocking at your door with a message while you turn up all the noise in your cave, refusing to hear the knocks. Madness. Open the door. Invite in depression. Invite anxiety. Invite self-hatred. Invite shame. Hear their message. Give them a hug. Accept their tirades as exaggerated mistruths typical of any upset person. Love your darkness and you shall know your light.” ― Vironika Tugaleva
- “Life has a tendency to provide a person with what they need in order to grow. Our beliefs, what we value in life, provide the roadmap for the type of life that we experience. A period of personal unhappiness reveals that our values are misplaced and we are on the wrong path. Unless a person changes their values and ideas, they will continue to experience discontentment.” ― Kilroy J. Oldster
- “Go find yourself first so you can also find me.” ― Rumi
- “Most people believe it is only by constraint they can get any good out of themselves, and so they live in a state of psychological distortion. It is his own self that each of them is most afraid of resembling. Each of them sets up a pattern and imitates it; he doesn’t even choose the pattern he imitates: he accepts a pattern that has been chosen for him. And yet I verily believe there are other things to be read in man. But people don’t dare to – they don’t dare to turn the page. Laws of imitation! Laws of fear, I call them. The fear of finding oneself alone – that is what they suffer from – and so they don’t find themselves at all. I detest such moral agoraphobia – the most odious cowardice I call it. Why, one always has to be alone to invent anything – but they don’t want to invent anything. The part in each of us that we feel is different from other people is just the part that is rare, the part that makes our special value – and that is the very thing people try to suppress. They go on imitating. And yet they think they love life.” ― André Gide
- “Free will is an illusion. Our wills are simply not of our own making.” ― Sam Harris
- “For it is in your power to retire into yourself whenever you choose.” ― Marcus Aurelius
- “In yourself right now is all the place you’ve got.” ― Flannery O’Connor
- “I am not a little bit of many things; but I am the sufficient representation of many things. I am not an incompletion of all these races; but I am a masterpiece of the prolific. I am an entirety, I am not a lack of anything; rather I am a whole of many things. God did not see it necessary to make me generic. He thinks I am better than that.” ― C. JoyBell C.
- “Wisdom tends to grow in proportion to one’s awareness of one’s ignorance.” ― Anthony de Mello
- “How to get rid of ego as dictator and turn it into messenger and servant and scout, to be in your service, is the trick.” ― Joseph Campbell
- “The closer you come to knowing that you alone create the world of your experience, the more vital it becomes for you to discover just who is doing the creating.” ― Eric Micha’el Leventhal
- “Once you’ve recognized your own limits, you’ve raised yourself to a higher level of being, since you’re closer to the real you…” ― banana yoshimoto
- “Even if you think you’re doing well and have it all figured out, there is a voice you will always inevitably hear at some point which nags at you and says “but wait…” Don’t ever dismiss it, listen to what it has to say. Life will never be close enough to perfect, and listening to that voice means stepping outside of yourself and considering your own wrongdoings and flaws.” ― Ashly Lorenzana
- “If we can’t laugh at ourselves, do we have the right to laugh at others?” ― C.H. Hamel
- “There is something simply beautiful and simply innocent, in being human. It is just so innocent and beautiful. I love it.” ― C. JoyBell C.
- “Diversity is an aspect of human existence that cannot be eradicated by terrorism or war or self-consuming hatred. It can only be conquered by recognizing and claiming the wealth of values it represents for all.” ― Aberjhani
- “When the artist finds himself he is lost. The fact that he has succeeded in never finding himself is regarded by Max Ernst as his only lasting achievement. ” ― Max Ernst
- “Be real. Embrace that you have weakness. Because everyone does. Embrace that your body is not perfect. Because nobody is. Embrace that you have things you can’t control. We all have a list of them.” ― Dan Pearce
- “Fear is self-awareness raised to a higher level.” ― Don DeLillo
- “Don’t try to tell me what I am because I know what I am not” ― Dr. Amit Abraham
Self-awareness is an awareness of one’s own personality or individuality, is the information that you know that you know.
Which self-awareness quote did you find more interesting? We’d love to know so don’t hesitate to share it with us!