This article represents complete guidelines about Histrionic Personality Disorder. In this article, we will highlight all the necessary information that is needed to know and give comprehensive guidance related to the disorder that includes symptoms, diagnostic aspects, causes, and treatments that mainly helps to clear the concept in understanding this disorder.
By the American Psychiatric Association, Histrionic Personality Disorder (HPD) is defined, which has been characterized by different patterns of huge attention that is seeking emotions; it usually begins in early adulthood that includes the inappropriate behaviors seductive and also requires excessive approvals.
What is Histrionic Personality Disorder?
The meaning of word histrionic is theatrical or dramatic. The Histrionic Personality Disorder is mainly known as a group of different conditions that are called personality disorder or Cluster B of tense. People are suffering from this disorder, unstable and intense emotions, and self-images that are distorted. People having Histrionic Personality Disorder as the self-esteem of these people mainly depend on approval that is given by others, and they do not have their self-worth.
They want other people to notice them, and for that, they have the desires of overwhelming, they behave inappropriately or dramatically to get attention from others. This type of disorder is mainly found in women, not in opposite gender men, and this disorder is proved in adulthood and adolescence.
Causes of Histrionic Personality Disorder?
This is the reality that the causes of Histrionic Personality Disorder are not commonly known, or we cannot judge it from anything. According to various professionals of mental health as they believe that the reason for the development of this disorder are both inherited and learned factors as they play a significant role in the event of this disorder.
If the parent has this disorder, so it will repeat in the child in the form of learned behavior; some environmental causes might cause this disorder that includes a lack of punishment or criticism when he is a child.
Some positive reinforcements have been given to children only when they complete certain behaviors that are approved. An entirely unpredictable behavior that is provided by the parents to the children in their childhood. The disorders in personality mostly develop due to individual temperament and in the relations, as well as styles of psychology and specific ways in which people use to speak with children when they are stressed.
Symptoms of Histrionic Personality Disorder
There are some people with this disorder found with such significant social skills. We must say they have the ability or talent to have excellent communication skills with people. To become the center of attention, they also use their skills to manipulate people. People having this disorder have the ability to such things as:
- They feel so uncomfortable until they become the center of attention,
- They mostly dress provocatively, by using inappropriate ways they act seductively and their behavior is often flirtatious,
- They can shift their emotions rapidly,
- They mostly act dramatically; they exaggeratedly act in front of people, their emotions and expressions are perfect, and they are not sincere with anyone,
- They are concerned with physical appearance and they search for the approvals and reassurances constantly,
- These people easily get influenced by other people, and they tend to become compassionate when there is disapproval or criticism.
- These people become frustrated instantly if things are not going according to them, and they tend to quickly become bored from a routine,
- They tend to jump to another task, without finishing one task and often do not think about what they are doing or take actions without thinking,
- Mostly make decisions rashly, especially, when they are angry,
- It is difficult to maintain relationships; it seems like they are fake when they are making such decisions or dealing with others.
- Take terrible steps to get attention from others like committing suicide or threaten.
There are some of the risk factors that help in developing the Histrionic Personality Disorder. Some of these significant factors are mentioned as under:
- If there is a previous family history of this disorder or mental illness.
- An individual has an education of a low level and does not have a social and economic circle.
- I got face verbal, sexual, or physical abuse during childhood.
- I got neglected by everyone and faced an unstable, chaotic family life from childhood.
- Childhood conduct disorder has been diagnosed with childhood.
- There were individual variations found in chemistry, brain, and structure.
Diagnosing the Histrionic Personality Disorder.
If the symptoms of Histrionic Personality Disorder appear, the doctor will first get to know the physical and psychiatric history of the patient. If the mentioned physical symptoms of the patient are present, then the doctor will recommend a physical and blood test to make sure whether the disorder occurs. Although there is no specific test is available for diagnosing the disease of personality.
This test is taken to make sure that the physical illness of the patient is not showing the direction of this Histrionic Personality Disorder. If any of the real reasons appear, then the doctor will recommend the patient to consult with a psychiatrist or psychologist and healthcare professionals who are specially trained to deal with people suffering from mental illnesses or suffering from these physical illnesses.
A unique diagnostic interview and assessment test will be conducted that is specially designed and conducted by Psychiatrists and psychologists. This is to the assessment test that will be done by using such tools and an interview for evaluating and diagnosing the disorder.
The Histrionic Personality Disorder effects on the personal relationships of an individual. The way of person reacts when he loses something and got failure in any step of his/her life. They do not have an idea of how to respond when they got to fail. As compared to ordinary people, individuals with this disorder are at a higher risk of falling into severe depression.
Well, the latest technology is there to deal with numerous diseases and disorders, but there is no such prevention which can deal with Histrionic Personality Disorder. But there are some of the productive ways through which the person can quickly deal with different situations and conditions. This will help in bringing the person into a reasonable state and bringing him out of that specific phrase.
Treatments for Histrionic Personality Disorder
Psychologically Therapy Treatments
It is difficult to treat the person who has Histrionic Personality Disorder because for treating the person, you first need to know the behavior and must remember to tackle the person’s thoughts and feelings. Mostly these patients do not prefer to have treatments or consult the psychiatrists until the disorder becomes worse, and they get into a higher level of anxiety. So handling the patient in its worst condition is severe.
According to the research, there was no such therapy required for treating the Histrionic Personality Disorder. The patient mostly becomes depressed or have severe anxiety that can be treated by a psychiatric consultancy. This depression is caused by their thinking and failure in their life, and that is what needs to be tackled.
The main goal of giving the treatment to the patient is to remove the negative thoughts from the mind, and whatever is killing the patient inside must be stopped. This is taking the individual to a higher risk. Consultancy by a psychiatric is required, and that is what the primary treatment is. There is no such medication necessary to treat this Histrionic Personality Disorder.
People must change their routines to bring variety in their lives and allow them to show their efforts and skills. That is how the patient will be able to come out of the depressive zone. The main thing is to bring positivity to the patient and remove the negative thoughts that are making the life hell of an individual. If anything wrong has happened with the person who took him into this Histrionic Personality Disorder, so it is necessary to wipe out the memories from the mind and try to give new hope and bring changes to life.
Medication for Treatments
There is no such medication that is prescribed to deal with Histrionic Personality Disorder. There are medications that are only required to cover the depression and anxiety that is mainly caused by this disorder. Still, patients need care with that too because sometimes people are not willing to take proper medicine, so they need a motivation to take medication regularly for avoiding depression and anxiety. They mostly behave in a harmful way and the way they will harm themselves due to suffering from a high level of depression.
Group Therapy Treatment
This is a fact that people who have Histrionic Personality Disorder does not want to get group therapy, but this is, on the other hand, helpful for them in many ways. They will learn from the experiences of other people, and you will participate in different activities in their group and try to get out of their depressive mental condition. People will become your friend, and you would like to have a company with others.
Family Counselling Therapy
When the family is getting affected by the negative and aggressive behavior of the patient, so in that case, the family needs to have counseling from the psychiatrist and learn the way of dealing with Histrionic Personality disorder. The family members need to learn the mental issues and problems that are faced by the individual.
1. Those are suffering from Histrionic Personality disorder can take guidance from Histrionic Personality Disorder: The Ultimate Guide to Symptoms, Treatment, and Prevention (Personality Disorders)
2. Complete guidance about Histrionic Personality disorder can be understood by going through Personality Disorders: Histrionic & Borderline – Personality Disorders – Laid Bare (Psychopaths, Sociopaths, Narcissist, Borderline, Histrionic, Mood Disorders, BPD) Kindle Edition
3. This book contains all the necessary information related to the histrionic personality disorder Hysterical Personality Style and Histrionic Personality Disorder
4. Looking to know what the histrionic personality disorder is, you must read Histrionic Personality Disorder Journal: Beautiful Journal To Track Various Moods and HPD Symptoms, Energy, Therapy, Coping Skills, & Lots Of Lined … Quotes, Illustrations, Prompts, & More! Paperback – November 4, 2019
5.You can get a lot of knowledge related to symptoms and therapy by going through Histrionic Personality Disorder Journal: Beautiful Journal To Track Various Moods and HPD Symptoms, Energy, Therapy, Coping Skills, & Lots Of Lined … Quotes, Illustrations, Prompts, & More! Paperback – November 4, 2019
A histrionic Personality disorder is mostly found in females as compared to males. Some primary causes and symptoms of this disorder include emotion, environment, negligence, physical, mental, or sexual abuse, and family issues. Some of the treatments are required, and it will also help in treating the person suffering from this disorder.
Is histrionic personality disorder a mental illness?
Yes, the Histrionic Personality disorder is a mental illness that makes people sensitive, and they want attention from others. They used to reach so aggressively if things are not going according to them.
What is histrionic Behaviour?
Histrionic behavior is that the individual wants attention from others, and if they feel like people are not giving them the attention, they can harm themselves or even commit suicide. They act so rudely and become aggressive.
How can I help a histrionic person?
You can help a histrionic person by giving him complete attention and try to provide him with a perfect time. Some people face this disorder due to any past abuse experience. That is why they start behaving like they are nothing, so they want attention from people, so give them full time and attention.
What are attention seeking behaviors?
The behaviors of attention-seeking are they started doing such stupid things and act aggressively to grab attention from others. Sometimes they want to commit suicide or harm themselves to get your attention.
What causes histrionic personality disorder?
Negligence, physical, mental, and psychological abuse, ignorance, and genetic from parents are the leading causes of this disorder.
Can HPD be cured?
Counseling from a psychiatric can cure this disorder. Medication for depression in this disorder can decrease the level of anxiety.