Who is Georges Lebar?
RuPaul’s husband was born on Jan 24, 1973, in Australia. He attended high school in Australia, but there is no information about his family background. The 46-year-old is the author of two famous books, Six Inches Way and PillowTalk, both published in October 2007. Georges Lebar is also a painter, but perhaps best known for being the husband of drag queen RuPaul.
They have been together for more than 20 years, and his wife is known for being the producer and host of the reality competition series entitled “RuPaul’s Drag Race”.
According to Affairpost, Information about Georges Lebar is very little, as he has lived his life without too much attention until 1994 when he was celebrating his birthday at a New York City club called the Limelight. This was the time that he and RuPaul met, leading to their eventual relationship.
The two have stayed together ever since, but their relationship remained private due to conflicting opinions about gay couples in public. Marriage between men was also not widely accepted in the country during the time they started dating. While Georges focused on his painting career, his work as an artist never really took off, and he mainly stayed in the shadows while his partner continued with his success.
RuPaul says that his husband is a “great guy” who couldn’t care less about showbiz.
“Most of the time he’s on the ranch in Wyoming,” RuPaul explained. “He has a 6,000-acre ranch, but when we have a chance to do anything, we want to go somewhere fabulous like Maui or New York because… God bless you Wyoming, but it’s very boring and the most isolated place on Earth.”
While RuPaul likes publicity and social life, Georges LeBar prefers living a private lifestyle and is not active on social media. The author and painter are, however, supportive of his spouse’s career in the limelight.
About Georges Lebar and RuPaul’s marriage
Despite their 13-year age difference –RuPaul was 34 at the time while LeBar had just turned 21– there were no doubts on either side. What they had experienced was more than a dance floor fling — it was pure magic. Magic that would lead to a lifelong romance, according to Goalcast.
RuPaul has always been true to himself and over the years, he’s spoken publicly about finding the right relationship formula that works for him and LeBar, even if it may seem unconventional to some.
As the Emmy winner told The Guardian back in 2018, their winning formula is all about trust — and freedom. “If [LeBar] needs to do something else somewhere else, I’m fine with that,” he said.
“He and I know that on this planet where there are millions and millions of people, the person I have found on this planet that I like the very most is him. And I know that for him the person he loves the most on this planet is me. I know that; there’s no doubt in my mind.”
Asked about marriage in 2015, RuPaul told Buzzfeed: “I don’t stand on ceremony, I never want to conform to anything… I never want to be like everybody else.”
Explaining their change of heart, RuPaul admitted it was primarily a business decision, proclaiming, “that paper doesn’t mean nothing… if you’re devoted to a person, nothing’s going to change that.”
More about Gerges Lebar’s husband: Andre Charles RuPaul
According to Wikipedia, RuPaul Andre Charles is an American drag queen, actor, model, singer, songwriter, and television personality. Since 2009, he has produced and hosted the reality competition series RuPaul’s Drag Race, for which he has received six Primetime Emmy Awards, in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.
RuPaul is considered to be the most commercially successful drag queen in the United States. In 2017, he was included in the annual Time 100 list of the most influential people in the world. In 2019, Fortune noted RuPaul as “easily the world’s most famous” drag queen.
He was criticized by environmentalists after revealing in 2020 that he and his husband lease mineral rights and sell water to oil companies on their ranch and allow fracking, an environmentally harmful practice. There are at least 35 active wells on the LeBar Ranch according to public maps. RuPaul previously held a climate-themed ball on his show to raise environmental awareness, leading to accusations of hypocrisy.
He has described doing drag as a “very, very political” act because it “challenges the status quo” by rejecting fixed identities: “drag says ‘I’m a shapeshifter, I do whatever the hell I want at any given time‘.”
RuPaul has said he has been sober from alcohol and mind-altering substances since 1999, having started smoking marijuana at age 10 or 11.
According to RuPaul’s official website, here are the most important key points to remember about himself:
- Born and raised in San Diego, CA. Moved to Atlanta, GA at 15
- Studied theatre at the North Atlanta School of Performing Arts
- Lead singer of rock band Wee Wee Pole before moving to NYC mid-eighties
- Crowned The Queen Of Manhattan in 1989
- Achieved international fame with hit song Supermodel (You Better Work)
- 1st feature film: Spike Lee’s Crooklyn
- Appears in more than 50 films & TV sitcoms
- Recorded a duet with Sir Elton John that reached #7 on the UK charts
- Awarded a 7-year contract as the first face of M.A.C Cosmetics
- Filmed 100 episodes of TV talker The RuPaul Show on VH1
- NYC morning radio veteran: WKTU
- Currently hosts the podcast RuPaul: What’s The Tee? w/Michelle Visage
- Published two books: Lettin’ It All Hang Out & Workin’ It
- Singer/Songwriter of 14 solo albums including the latest American
- A wax portrait of RuPaul is displayed at Madame Tussauds Museum in NYC
- RuPaul pop up shop at Hollywood and Highland
- Merchandise includes apparel, accessories, fragrance, chocolate, and candles
- There are a series of dolls, statuettes and a Funko Pop in RuPaul’s likeness
- Host and Executive Producer of the world-wide hit reality competition series RuPaul’s Drag Race
- 1 million watched RuPaul’s Drag Race – Season 9 premiere
- The host of Skin Wars: Fresh Paint (GSN), Good Work (E!), and Gay for Play (Logo)
- Two-time Emmy Award winner: Outstanding Host for a Reality-Competition Program
- Critics Choice Award winner: Best Reality TV Host
- MTV 2017 Movie and TV Award winner: Best Reality Competition
- Named one of Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People of 2017
- Cover of Entertainment Weekly June 2017
- Cover of New York Times Magazine January 2018
- Bad Robot / J.J. Abrams is developing a Hulu scripted tv series based on RuPaul’s life
- 75K people attend RuPaul’s DragCon annually
- A recent guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Oprah’s Super Soul Sunday, Late Night with Seth Meyers, Hollywood Game Night, Project Runway: All-Stars, Ellen, Late Late Show with James Corden
- Portrayed Queen of Hearts in 2018 Pirelli Calendar
- Hollywood Walk of Fame star recipient March 2018
- 4+ million followers on social media
- Splits time between New York, California & Wyoming
Georges Lebar in his own words
Below is an excerpt from the bio page of George Lebar’s official website.
I paint, plain and simple; my background is in fashion and design, studied in Paris, New York and most recently in Miami. My images are a reference from my history comparing it to the present, art is about exploring life for me.
Blasphemous influences seem to surround me and press chokingly upon my senses. Microwave of mascara is a glimpse into the reality of our consumer society fighting the “green” effect, melding art, fashion, advertising, and commerce into a mythic narrative.
Religion has always been physical, eating flesh, drinking blood, all in the name of redemption.
Even our new Pope wears red Prada shoes under his robe. Churches have always been the greatest art installations, turning themselves into two-dimensional paintings — composed, positioned and bought.
Click here to see some of Georges Lebar’s artworks.
RuPaul’s husband, Georges LeBar, has been with the LGBTQ pioneer for years. But he’s a private person who prefers to keep out of the spotlight that shines bright on the RuPaul’s Drag Race star.
Please feel free to share any comments, thoughts or questions you may have, in the comments section below.