In this brief blog, we will curate books about stress so you can learn how to manage your stress by reading philosophies of how other people have managed their stress from tactics gained from books about stress. If you have any suggestions on other books about stress then please let us know in the comments and we will add them below.
What is stress according to different authors?
When reading books about stress you will find that different authors have different definitions of stress. Stress can mean different things for different people. Hans Selyesays. “Stress is the nonspecific response of the body to any demand.”
What is stress?
Stess is the bodies way of telling you it is experiencing a lot of mental, physical or emotional trauma. Stress is essentially the bodies way of telling you it needs change. Stress can occur at any time or any place. If you want to understand the stress you have then you may want to read some books about stress.
How do you relieve stress?
If you want to relieve stress then there are a few things you can do.
You can relieve stress by:
- Writing your thoughts down
- Taking medication
- Chewing gum can also help relieve stress
- Taking supplements can also help your stress.
Some books about stress will provide you with more techniques which could help you reduce the stress you are suffering from.
How do we manage stress?
There are various ways we can manage stress. Some of the ways you can manage stress include:
- Try meditating
- Sleep longer and better
- Avoid caffeine
- Avoid alcohol
- Make sure you have a healthy diet every day
- Avoid smoking
- Share your feelings with friends and family.
- Excercise often
- Manage your time and avoid stressful situations
- Keep a stress diary
Can stress kill you?
Yes, stress can kill you. “There are a number of ways chronic stress can kill you,” says Aldwin. This could be from heart disease, high blood pressure, a stroke, a heart attack, increased levels of cortisol and lower immune function.
What are the types of stress?
There are different types of stress which all have their own symptoms, treatments, features and duration which they usually last. The types of stress include:
- acute stress
- episodic acute stress
- chronic stress.
What are the emotional signs of stress?
There are a few main emotional signs of stress. The emotional signs of stress include:
- Low sex drive
- Mood swings
- Compulsive behaviour
- Concentration problems
- Memory problems
- What are the 3 causes of stress?
- There are different causes of stress, this could be:
- The loss of a job
- Death of a friend
- A divorce
- The breakup of a relationship
- Death of a pet
- Moving homes
- Changing homes
- Getting married
- Chronic illness and injury
- Low self-esteem
Books about stress
Below are books about stress which we think you may find useful.
- Hinch Yourself Happy-Mrs Hinch
- How to Survive-John Hudson
- Mindfulness-J. Mark G. Williams
- How to Be Human-Ruby Wax
- Write It Down, Let It Go-Chronicle Books
- Calm-Fearne Cotton
- The Anxiety Solution-Chloe Brotheridge
- Calm: The Journal-Fearne Cotton
- The Stress Solution-Dr Rangan Chatterjee
- When the Body Says No-Dr Gabor Mate
- Ten to Zen-Owen O’Kane
- Wabi Sabi-Beth Kempton
- Stressed, Unstressed-Jonathan Bate
- Sane New World-Ruby Wax
- The Anxiety Journal-Corinne Sweet
- The Wild Remedy-Emma Mitchell
- Science Of Yoga-Ann Swanson
If you are suffering from stress, depression, anxiety, loneliness or any similar mental health issue then seeking help for it may be a good option. Mental health issues such as depression, loneliness and anxiety can affect anyone of us.
If you are under 18 then CAMHS, an NHS run programme may just be the answer for your mental health struggles.
You should look to see if you meet the CAMHS referral criteria and then fill in the CAMHS referral form.